Geoloblog

Environmental science, traveling, and the sociology of the unraveling American dream.

Name:

If you're looking for more about me, I'm pretty much hanging out over at my livejournal these days. I use this account for commenting on other people's blogs.

Thursday, October 28, 2004

No, they're really orange

Put on my orange suede shoes
and I boarded the plane
touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
in the middle of the pouring rain --


I went to Graceland today, or more specifically to the parking lot, and also to the gift shop, which was closed for inventory. Whenever I'm traveling and start seeing signs for something like this, I seem to find myself very excited about going there up until I find myself arriving, at which point I lose all interest.* I think it's a boredom avoidance method -- gives me something to focus on, but in terms of actually walking through Graceland... I went to the [open] gift shop next door. I have a parking receipt. I even have a piece of pink paper with a list of the things you can't bring in with you. And you know, I think I'm happy with that. (I did the exact same thing in James Dean's home town. Slogan: "Where Cool Went To School.")

*However, the fact that a ticket was $27 probably had a lot to do with it as well.

in Graceland, in Graceland
I'm going to Graceland
for reasons I cannot explain
there's some part of me wants to see Graceland