Geoloblog

Environmental science, traveling, and the sociology of the unraveling American dream.

Name:

If you're looking for more about me, I'm pretty much hanging out over at my livejournal these days. I use this account for commenting on other people's blogs.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

A small portion of today was spent in Plymouth. I looked out over the water and tried to see what my ancesters would have seen, coming over from England on the Mayflower -- cold, inhospitable, windswept, the Puritan worldview embodied in landscape -- but I couldn't. I won't ever be able to look at the New England coast as anything but home.

There was also a Myles Standish Shopping Plaza. I for one think that says a great deal about the survival of Puritan ideals in modern American culture.

Other portions of today were spent thinking such entertaining thoughts as What a nice cranberry bog... wait. There weren't any cranberry bogs on the way here, were there? and Now this is a lovely high bridge. Which I don't remember from the map. and Why am I on sodding Cape Cod?